Knowledge Base FAQ Item #6600125
Q6600125: Can I use an Active Directory Managed Service Account to run ActiveXperts?
Yes you can. You need to create a Managed Service Account in Active Directory first. After creation, you need to assign the account to the ActiveXperts Network Monitor Engine service in the 'Services' applet in Windows.
How to create an Active Directory Managed Service account
Start a new Powershell command prompt on the server where you want to run ActiveXperts, to execute the commands to create and install the new account.
Create a new service account like this (we create account 'MyAcc1' in domain 'MYAD' as an example):
New-ADServiceAccount -Name "MyAcc1" -RestrictToSingleComputer
Next, add the new account to Active Directory:
Add-ADComputerServiceAccount -Identity MYAD -ServiceAccount "MyAcc1"
Next step is to install service account in Active Directory:
Install-ADServiceAccount -Identity "MyAcc1"
How to associate the Active Directory Managed Service account to ActiveXperts
To run the ActiveXperts Network Monitor Engine service using the Active Directory Managed Service Account, please do the following:
- Make sure that ActiveXperts Network Monitor is installed, running under any account (for instance, the 'Local System' account);
- Start the Windows 'Services' applet, for instance from the 'Windows Admistrative Tools' folder;
- Double-click on the 'ActiveXperts Network Monitor Engine' service to open up the Properties window;
- Select the 'Log On' tab;
- select the 'This account' radio button;
- Browse for the Managed Service account (e.g.: 'MyAcc1') and select it.
- Press OK and restart the service.