How to distribute an ActiveXperts Component
ActiveXperts Software offers a Distribution License for the following products:
- ActiveXperts Network Component
- ActiveXperts Serial Port Component
For each product, the core consists of just two files:
- a 64-bit ActiveX DLL. This file is required for 64-bit applications and can be used on 64-bit platforms only;
- a 32-bit ActiveX DLL. This file is required for 32-bit applications and can be used on 32-bit and 64-bit platforms.
If you install the product using the ActiveXperts product installation program, the DLL file(s) are already copied to the system and registered. However, if you plan to deploy/distribute yourself without making use of the ActiveXperts product install program, you'll need to copy and register the DLL files yourself.
Standard Product Installation
If the ActiveXperts component installation was done through the product installation program (as downloaded from the ActiveXperts Download Site), the DLL(s) are located in the following folder (depending on platform architecture):
64-bits Operating Systems:
|ActiveXperts Network Component||C:\Program Files\Common Files\ActiveXperts\AxNetwork64.dll|
|ActiveXperts Serial Port Component||C:\Program Files\Common Files\ActiveXperts\AxSerial64.dll|
32-bits Operating Systems:
|ActiveXperts Network Component||C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ActiveXperts\AxNetwork32.dll|
|ActiveXperts Serial Port Component||C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ActiveXperts\AxSerial32.dll|
How to deploy/distribute to multiple computers
To distribute the DLL (32-bit, 64-bit, or both) to one or more PC's as part of your software or solution, you must do the following:
- Make sure you have a valid Distribution License Key for the ActiveXperts product;
- Find out which 32-bit DLL and/or 64-bit DLL (or both) you need to distribute. Locate the necessary DLL(s) as described above.
- Copy the 32-bit DLL and/or 64-bit DLL to the target PC. This can be done manually, or as part of your own software installation/script;
- Register the DLL(s) on the target PC. To do so, issue the REGSVR32.EXE command from the command prompt, for instance:
- Use the license key on the target computer. This can be done either by editting the registry, or by using the license key in your program code by setting the 'LicenseKey' property. This is described in the product manual, chapter 'Purchase and Product Activation'.