Knowledge Base FAQ Item #7250017
Q7250017: How to enable/disable WMI through DCOM on a standalone Windows server?
Enabling/disabling WMI through DCOM on a standalone Windows server can be done using the following steps:
- Open the "Component Services" console by typing "dcomcnfg" in the "Run" dialog box or from the "Start" menu search bar.
- In the console, expand the "Component Services" node and then navigate to "Computers -> My Computer -> DCOM Config".
- Scroll down and locate the "Windows Management and Instrumentation" entry, right-click on it and select "Properties".
- In the "Properties" dialog box, go to the "Security" tab and under the "Launch and Activation Permissions" section, click on the "Customize" button.
- Click the "Edit" button to edit the "Permissions" settings To disable, remove the "Everyone" group and any other groups or users that have permissions to access WMI through DCOM. To enable again, add the group.
- Repeat the above steps for the "Access Permissions" section as well.
- Click "OK" to save the changes and close the "Component Services" console.