ACTIVEXPERTS SMS MESSAGING SERVER 2018 RELEASE NOTES
(Release date: July 1 2018)
What has changed in ActiveXperts SMS Messaging Server 2018
Installation and upgrade
ActiveXperts SMS Messaging Server 2018 is the latest version of the ActiveXperts SMS Messaging Server product.
The mission of the product is to provide companies with a fast and reliable framework to send, receive and process SMS- and email messages.
The product runs as a service on Windows 2016/2012(R2)/2008R2/10/8/7 platforms.
WHAT HAS CHANGED IN ACTIVEXPERTS SMS MESSAGING SERVER 2018
- SMPP Server/Gateway -
- The SMPP Server channel is now fully integrated as a channel in the SMS Messaging Server..
- Scripting -
- VBScript triggers are now easier to write and maintain as the API is now more straight forward;
- VBScript triggers now execute a lot faster. This is a great overal boost in throughput and performance when using VBScript triggers;
- VBScript triggers can now keep information such as database connections or any other information in memory between processing messages.
- GUI -
- The SMS Messaging Server Monitor is now integrated into the ActiveXperts SMS Messaging Server Manager;
- The channel logging and monitoring options have been improved and more information is logged by default;
- The new SMS, Email and File dialogs have been greatly improved to provide more options for sending highly customized message;
- The use of attachments is now better integrated in the SMS Messaging Server Manager user interface and new email dialogs.
- Bulk Wizard -
- The Bulk Wizard has improved handling of email attachments;
- The Bulk Wizard can now be used to schedule sending bulk messages at any time or date.
- Configuration -
- The options for scheduling automatic archiving of existing messages have been improved;
- The automatic message archives has had some important performance improvements;
- Server configuration options are now configurable outside of the installer.
- Database Support -
- The SMS Messaging Server now supports MS LocalDB as an options for the local SMS Messaging Server message and configuration database;
- The SMS Messaging Server no longer supports the MySQL database option for storing message or configuration data;
- The SMS Messaging Server no longer supports the MSAccess database option for storing message or configuration data. MSAccess can still be used in SMS or email projects.
INSTALLATION AND UPGRADE
To learn more about installing the product for the first time, please read the manual.
Upgrade from SMS Messaging Server 2016R2
Upgrade from ActiveXperts SMS Messaging Server 2016R2 to ActiveXperts SMS Messaging Server 2018 in the following way:
- Make a backup of your production server;
- Uninstall ActiveXperts SMS Messaging Server 2016R2. Use the 'Add/Remove Programs' application in the Control Panel to start the Uninstall procedure;
- Download the ActiveXperts SMS Messaging Server 2018 Installation file from the ActiveXperts Software web site: www.activexperts.com/download/
- Start the Installation. The installation wizard will guide you through the steps of the installation;
- The SMS Messaging Server configuration wizard will suggest your message database as the server database;
- Select your message database to automatically upgrade and keep your existing messages;
- The SMS Messaging Server Manager application will detect the old SMS Messaging Server 2016R2 configuration and suggest an import;
- Follow the steps in the import wizard.
Notes before upgrading
- Triggers will be imported in 'Compatible mode'. Which means that they will still run but they will not benifit from all performance improvements.
- After importing please upgrade the trigger scripts according to the upgrade instructions found here;
- To be able to upgrade the message database from SMS Messaging Server 2016R2 the message database should be migrated to MSSQL 2008 or higher.