On 1/1/2020, Auron Software B.V. acquired ActiveXperts SMS Messaging Server and will continue developing, selling and supporting the product under it's own brand name Auron SMS Server.
Maintenance contracts will be continued directly by Auron Software as of 1/1/2020.
ActiveXperts SMS Messaging Server
ActiveXperts SMS Messaging Server is a messaging framework to send, receive and process SMS and e-mail messages.
- SMS messaging framework to build custom SMS based applications.
- Automatically send, receive and process messages
- Open system, API and Database layout are documented
- Runs as a service on Windows 2019/2016/2012(R2)/2008(R2)/10/8/7 in 32 or 64 bit
- SMS communication through GSM, HTTP and SMPP
- E-mail communications through (secure) SMTP and POP3
SMS Messaging Server Console
Low/Medium volume SMS
To send/receive/process low- and medium volume SMS use a GSM modem.
Install SMS Messaging Server on a Windows computer, connect the modem to it (USB/COM/TCP-IP) and insert a SIM card.
ActiveXperts supports the majority of all available GSM modems. Recommended: a Cinterion GSM modem.
High volume SMS
To send/receive/process high volume SMS subscribe to an SMPP provider.
Install SMS Messaging Server on a Windows computer, connect the SMPP provider over the internet/VPN.
ActiveXperts supports the vast majority of SMPP providers. Recommended: Aerialink SMPP services (world-wide coverage).
SMS using direct database access
With ActiveXperts SMS Messaging Server, it is easy to send and receive SMS messages. The core of the product runs in the background on a Windows machine (32-bit or 64-bit).
Messages are stored in a database (MS SQL Server or LocalDB). You can easily send out SMS messages by creating new messages in the database:
SMS using API
It's easy to send SMS messages from other applications. This can be a custom application (e.g. C#, VB.NET) or an existing application (e.g. MS Excel, MS Access) that makes use of the API:
How SMS Messaging Server works
ActiveXperts SMS Messaging Server
- Runs as a service on Windows, 32 or 64 bit
- Server database can be MS SQL (Express) or LocalDB
- Use API to send, receive and process messages
- Use your favorite programming tool, e.g. VBScript, CSharp, etc.
The 'Server database' plays a central role in the SMS Messaging Server. It contains incoming and outgoing messages.
This database can be MS SQL Server or LocalDB.
To send out a message, create a new record in the message table in the server database. This can be done in several ways:
- Direct database access (SQL statements)
- Custom application or script, using SMS Messaging Server API
- Tools that ship with the product
The service, running in the background, reads the record from the database and sends out the message to the recipient.
The SMS Messaging Server ships with a graphical applications: the SMS Messaging Server Manager to view messages and configure the system and monitor all communication channels, real-time.
SMS Messaging Server Architecture (click to enlarge)
The SMS Messaging Server allows you to create, delete and modify in/outgoing messages, as well as process incoming messages.
The first API sample illustrates how to create SMS messages from a script. The second API sample illustrates how incoming messages can be processed.
API sample: create SMS messages (click to enlarge)
API sample: process incoming messages (click to enlarge)
ActiveXperts SMS Messaging Server runs on all major Windows operating systems:
- Server platforms: Windows 2019, Windows 2016, Windows 2012 R2, Windows 2012, Windows 2008 R2
- Desktop platforms: Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7
- Supported Virtualization platforms: VMware, Microsoft Hyper-V, Citrix Xen, Oracle VirtualBox, Virtual Bridges VERDE
- CPU: a Multi-core processor is recommended due to the multi-threaded architecture of ActiveXperts
- Memory: 2GB required; 4GB recommended
- DBMS: MS SQL Server 2008+. LocalDB can be used for evaluation purposes or small projects.
In order to send/receive SMS messages, you need either a GSM modem or a subscription to an SMPP provider.
Our case studies will give you some inside information into how our customers are using the SMS Messaging Server to create their own solutions.
Click here for a full list of case studies.
- Send and Receive SMS messages on multiple communication lines simultaneously
- Support for GSM Modems and GSM phones (GSM 07.05 and GSM 07.07 specifications) for low-volume messaging
- Support for SMPP 3.x SMSC Centers. SMPP is the Industry Standard for high volume SMS
- Support for multiple SMPP/SMSC connections and multiple GSM modems/phones running simultaneously
- Support for multi-part messages, to allow messages longer than 160 characters
- Support for SMS delivery verification
- Support for Unicode, To support extended characters that are not supported by your native character set
- Support for WAP Push messages and Flash messages
- Support for traffic limitations and throttling
- Full TAPI (Windows Telephony) support
- Incoming SMS messages are stored in a central database
- Outgoing SMS messages are fetched from the database and sent through an available GSM/SMPP communication channel
- All SMS communications can be viewed real-time using the SMS Messaging Monitor application
- Send and Receive e-mail messages on multiple network connections simultaneously
- Native SMTP- and POP3 support
- Supports secure connections (SSL/TLS)
- Incoming e-mail messages are stored in a central database
- Outgoing e-mail messages are fetched from the database and sent through an available SMTP communication channel
- All E-mail communications can be viewed real-time using the SMS Messaging Monitor application
- All configuration information is stored in a central database.
- All incoming and outgoing messages is stored in a central database.
- The SMS Messaging Server Manager enables you to define different views of the database
- An API is provided to allow custom scripting. The API provides full access to the database
Scripting low/medium volume
- Incoming messages can be processed by one or more VBScript based 'Trigger scripts'.
- Trigger scripts allow basically any kind of logic, creating new messages in reply, starting external applications, etc..
- The SMS Messaging Server API can be used in VBScript. A lot of sample code is included, showing how to use the API in VBScript
Message processing high volumes
- For high volume processing of incoming messages the SMS Messaging Server API can be used in a stand alone application.
- The SMS Messaging Server includes a C# based example for high volume processing of incoming messages.
Monitoring, Logging and Tracing
- The Manager application shows the real-time activity of the channels. All modem operations and network operations (SMPP, POP3 and SMTP) can be viewed real-time
- Message tracing allows you to see exactly what happened with a message, at what time.
For licensing information, please click here.
More information about SMS communications
More information about SMS communications:
How to use SMS Messaging Server API -
Cellular Communications -
SMS Documents -