ACTIVEXPERTS NETWORK MONITOR 7.2
Release Date: September 8 2009
What's new in ActiveXperts Network Monitor 7.2
Installation and Upgrade
ActiveXperts Network Monitor 7.2 is the newest version of the ActiveXperts Network Monitor product.
The mission of the product is to maximize the reliability of your production servers and applications through the automatic detection and correction of problems and issues.
The product runs as a service on the Windows 2008/2003/2000/7/Vista/XP platforms.
The ActiveXperts Network Monitor 7.2 configuration database is compatible with all previous versions of the product.
Click on the link below to download of ActiveXperts Network Monitor 7.2
WHAT'S NEW IN ACTIVEXPERTS NETWORK MONITOR 7.2
- Checks (Generic) -
- You can now create multiple checks in one go by specifying a list of severs/devices;
- There's a new scan feature that detects computers/devices in your network. Define new checks for those computers with one single click;
- Default scan frequency values are now configured by check type. In previous versions of Network Monitor, you could only set a default value globally (not per check type);
- You can now view the availability for each check by choosing 'View Availability History' from the check's context menu.
- New built-in checks -
- New PowerShell check - with Network Monitor 7.2, you can now define your owns checks based on PowerShell. PowerShell is the de-facto scripting environment for Windows;
- New Remote Command check - with Network Monitor 7.2, you can now run a command on a remote server, and base the result of the check on the 'standard output' of that command;
- New SSH checks - there are new SSH checks included in network Monitor 7.2.
- Enhanced Built-in checks -
- SNMP Get - the 'SNMP Get' check has improved support for MIB files, to allow users to enter alpha-numeric OID's.
Previous versions of Network Monitor were having issues with some third-party MIB files.
Network Monitor v.7.2 is compabile with virtually any thrird-party MIB file.
- SNMP Get - there's now type checking in the Manager's configuration dialog, to prevent users from checking against an incompatible data type.
- Event Log - Numeric categories in Event Log monitoring are now supported.
In previous versions of Network Monitor, it was not possible to filter on numeric categories; in v.7.2, it is possible;
- Event Log - In previous versions, you could only monitor Windows Logs. In v.7.2, you can now monitor other logs including Applications and Serivces Logs (like: Directory Service logs, DNS Server logs, File Replication Server logs and more);
- Process - In v.7.1, you could check for any process consuming more than a configurable amount of RAM. In v.7.2, you can exclude particular processes from it, to avoid notifications from processes that you expect to consume a lot of RAM.
- VBScript -
The VBScript scripts folder has been renamed.
In previous versions of Network Monitor, the folder was located in the '\Scripts\' folder and was called 'Monitor'.
The folder still resides in the '\Scripts\' folder, but is now called 'Monitor (vbs).
With this new name, grouping of scripts in the '\Scripts\' folder is more clear.
- Manager application -
- The Manager application now has Office 2003 style menu's and toolbars. Both are dockable. The toolbar is customizable;
- The Manager application now gives a warning upon start when the Network Monitor service is not running. When the service is not started, you will be prompted to start the service;
- If you choose 'Monitor Now' for a check but the service is not running, you are prompted to start the service;
- For each monitored item, you can now get an up/downtime view (also called: 'Availability View'). In previous versions of Network Monitor, you could only get a 'Detail View' (still available in v.7.2);
- You can now copy/paste multiple checks in one go. In previous versions of Network Monitor, you could one copy one item at a time;
- A few minor enhancement were made to the GUI.
- Web Interface -
- The Web Interface (look-and-feel) has been redesigned;
- The Web Interface Configuration Tool now includes a wizard to create new Web Views. This makes the creation of new Web Views much easier.
- Notifications -
- Windows Live Messenger notifications - ActiveXperts Network Monitor now supports Windows Live Messenger notifications. It doesn't require Windows Live Messenger to be installed on the system;
- SMTP notifications were not working for very slow mail servers, e.g. mail servers that take more than 5 seconds to connect to. The timeout settings has been set less tight in v.7.2,
- SMS/HTTP notifications are now working. See the 'Bug Fixes' section below.
- Miscellaneous -
- Network Monitor v.7.2 has been tested and approved for Windows 7;
- Network Monitor v.7.2 has an improved MIB browser diagnostic utility;
- Support for the Sensatronics Senturion Light enviromental device. Previous versions of Network Monitor already included support for the Senturion together with the following Sensatronics models: EM1, E16, E8, E4, CM16, U16, U8 and U4.
- Directory check - previous versions of Network Monitor could monitor the Directory Size, but sub-directories were not counted. This issue has been solved in v.7.2;
- SNMP Get check - in previous versions of Network Monitor, there was a small memory leak for SNMP checks based on the Integer data type. This memory leak has been solved in v.7.2;
- Text Logging - in previous versions of Network Monitor, the 'Maximum Log Size' value did not work for text logging. This has been solved in v.7.2;
- In previous versions of Network Monitor, the SMS/HTTP notifications were only working from the Manager's Test button.
However, when the sevice had to send out an alert because of a failed check, it did not work because the SMS/HTTP configuration information cluld not be fetched from the configuration database.
This has been fixed in v.7.2.
INSTALLATION AND UPGRADE
- Installation -
To learn more about installing the product for the first time, please read our manual. You can download the manual at http://www.activexperts.com/files/activmonitor/manual.pdf
- Upgrade -
Upgrading from a previous version should be done in the following way:
- Make a backup of the current configuration - although not really necessary, it's a good practice to do so. Use the Manager's Export command to make the backup;
- Make a backup of all custom VBScript scripts - if any. Use the Windows Explorer to make the backup;
- Uninstall all 'ActiveXperts Network Monitor Manager' application on the PCs that have the Manager application installed. Use the 'Add/Remove Programs' applet in the Control Panel to start the Uninstall;
- Uninstall the 'ActiveXperts Network Monitor' software on the monitoring server. Use the 'Add/Remove Programs' applet in the Control Panel to start the Uninstall;
- Reboot the monitoring server;
- Install the 'ActiveXperts Network Monitor' software on the monitoring server;
- Launch the Manager application, and choose 'Import Configuration' from the 'File menu'. Select the version of the previous configuration file, and then select the configuration file (named CONFIG.AMF);
- Optionally, install the 'ActiveXperts Network Monitor Manager' application on the PCs of the operators.